If my child has chickenpox, how can I make him more comfortable?

Use cool, wet compresses or bathe your child in cool or lukewarm water or oatmeal products every three to four hours for the first few days, to help relieve itching.

Put calamine lotion on itchy areas (except on the face).

Serve foods that are cold, soft and bland, since mouth blisters may make drinking or eating difficult.

Ask your doctor or pharmacist about pain-relieving creams.

Continue Learning about Chicken Pox Treatment

How can I keep my child from scratching chickenpox?
It may be hard to keep a child from scratching at the unbearably itchy rash of chickenpox. But it is...
What are the treatment options for chickenpox?
Time is usually the main treatment option for children with chickenpox. It is caused by a virus, so ...
How can I relieve the itching from my child’s chickenpox?
James FortenberryJames Fortenberry
•        Give him frequent lukewarm baths, (you may add baking soda or oatmeal to the bath water)•  ...
What medications treat chickenpox?
Children with chickenpox usually don't take any medications to help treat it. But if you're at risk ...