How can I keep my child from scratching chickenpox?

It may be hard to keep a child from scratching at the unbearably itchy rash of chickenpox. But it is important to lessen scratching to prevent scars and possible secondary infection. Here are a few things to try:

• Make sure your child's nails are cut short.
  • Put a pair of mittens on your child's hands.
  • Give your child cool baths and put calamine lotion on the itchy spots.

Continue Learning about Chicken Pox Treatment

What are the treatment options for chickenpox?
Time is usually the main treatment option for children with chickenpox. It is caused by a virus, so ...
If my child has chickenpox, how can I make him more comfortable?
UCLA HealthUCLA Health
Use cool, wet compresses or bathe your child in cool or lukewarm water or oatmeal products every thr...
Can I take an antihistamine for the itch of chickenpox?
Sometimes doctors will suggest people with chickenpox take an antihistamine for the itchiness relate...
How effective is the chickenpox vaccine?
The chickenpox vaccine has proven to be rather effective in protecting children against the viru...