How effective is the chickenpox vaccine?

The vaccine that protects people from getting chicken pox or herpes zoster is 70% to 90% effective against any form of varicella disease, and over 90% effective against the severe form. And if you do get chicken pox, you experience it mildly, with less than 50 poxes per person, mild or no fever, and a faster recovery. Compared to the 500 itchy, oozing blisters, lurking in every crevice on the body you would get otherwise, that’s not so bad at all.

The chickenpox vaccine has proven to be rather effective in protecting children against the virus. It is estimated that 98 percent of those who get the two recommended doses of the vaccine do not get chickenpox. Even if those who do get the vaccine end up catching chickenpox, it has been observed that these cases are not very serious and do not last as long as a typical case.

Continue Learning about Chicken Pox Treatment

How can I relieve the itching from my child’s chickenpox?
James FortenberryJames Fortenberry
•        Give him frequent lukewarm baths, (you may add baking soda or oatmeal to the bath water)•  ...
If my child has chickenpox, how can I make him more comfortable?
UCLA HealthUCLA Health
Use cool, wet compresses or bathe your child in cool or lukewarm water or oatmeal products every thr...
Can I take an antihistamine for the itch of chickenpox?
Sometimes doctors will suggest people with chickenpox take an antihistamine for the itchiness relate...
What treatment will my child get for chickenpox?
James FortenberryJames Fortenberry
Your child’s doctor will talk with you about specific care for your child. Some general guidelines t...