What is chemo brain?

Sometimes cancer survivors experience slight changes in their ability to remember or concentrate well after they have received chemotherapy. This very mild form of dementia is sometimes called "chemo-brain." Even these mild cognitive changes can disrupt daily living and the ability work.

Symptoms of chemo brain may include:
  • Difficulty concentrating
  • Difficulty remembering things that occurred recently
  • Difficulty completing tasks
  • Confusion
  • Inability to think clearly

Patients undergoing chemotherapy coined the phrase chemo brain long before doctors began studying the problem, says palliative medicine specialist Dr. Stewart Fleishman. Learn what it is and why it happens by watching this video.

Nimesh P. Nagarsheth, MD
Gynecologic Oncology
Chemo brain is a term that has been used to describe the cognitive side effects that have been associated with chemotherapy, which include unclear thinking, lack of concentration, decreased attention span, and short-term memory loss. Although cancer patients have been complaining of these symptoms for over 30 years, physicians have only begun to systematically research this issue in the past few years.
Music And Cancer: A Prescription For Healing

From diagnosis to end-of-life care to the meaning behind life with cancer, Music and Cancer: A Prescription for Healing is designed to improve the quality of life of people affected by cancer in a...

Continue Learning about Chemotherapy For Cancer

Dancing Away from Chemo-Induced Neuropathy
When Tina Fey played real-life war correspondent Kim Barker in the movie Whiskey Tango Foxtrot some reviewers thought the script was off-balance. The ...
How do I safely dispose of unused chemotherapy medications and supplies?
Aurora Health CareAurora Health Care
To dispose of unused chemotherapy medicines and supplies: Return all unused medicines and suppli...
What is metronomic chemotherapy?
Cancer Treatment Centers of America (CTCA)Cancer Treatment Centers of America (CTCA)
Metronomic chemotherapy is an innovative chemotherapy treatment delivery method in which a single ch...
How Can Cancer Treatment Affect My Sexual Health?