What is my life expectancy with celiac disease?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing

If celiac disease is properly managed, most people diagnosed with celiac disease can have a normal life expectancy. However, if celiac disease is not treated with a diet that is completely free of gluten, then the damage that is caused to the small intestine will continue and it could potentially be life threatening. When celiac disease goes untreated in adults or children, they become malnourished. Liver diseases and cancers of the digestive tract can also occur as a result of long-term unmanaged celiac disease. The most important thing if you suspect you or someone you care for has celiac disease is to get diagnosed so treatment can begin.

The long-term prognosis for celiac disease is good as long as people with celiac disease follow a gluten-free diet.

Continue Learning about Celiac Disease

Fatigue? Bloating? Aching Joints? You May Have This Autoimmune Disease
Gluten-free diets have recently gained popularity, but for people with celiac disease, avoiding it is a necessity, not a fad. Celiac disease is an aut...
Is celiac disease an autoimmune disorder?
Nancee Jaffe, RDNancee Jaffe, RD
Celiac disease is an autoimmune disorder. Autoimmunity is a condition in which your immune system, w...
How is celiac disease diagnosed?
Dr. Patricia L. Raymond, MDDr. Patricia L. Raymond, MD
The first step to a diagnosis of celiac disease is awareness, either from you or your doctor. I test...
What Is Celiac Disease?
What Is Celiac Disease?