Is celiac disease an autoimmune disorder?

Nancee Jaffe, RD
Celiac disease is an autoimmune disorder. Autoimmunity is a condition in which your immune system, which normally protects your body, can't distinguish between healthy tissue and harmful substances and attacks healthy tissue by mistake.

When someone who has celiac disease eats something that contains gluten, the immune system produces an army of antibodies. It doesn't recognize the gluten, and it doesn't understand how to break it down. Unfortunately, when this army starts to attack the gluten, it actually ends up attacking the small intestine, which is a very serious condition.

Continue Learning about Celiac Disease

Fatigue? Bloating? Aching Joints? You May Have Celiac Disease
Gluten-free diets have recently gained popularity, but for people with celiac disease, avoiding it is a necessity, not a fad. Celiac disease is an aut...
Can I drink alcohol if I have celiac disease?
Michael Albertson, MDMichael Albertson, MD
If you have celiac disease, it is okay to drink red wine and white wine. However, beer may be a prob...
Is there a connection between celiac disease and type 2 diabetes?
dLife - It's YOUR Diabetes Life!dLife - It's YOUR Diabetes Life!
There is no correlation between type 2 diabetes and celiac disease. The prevalence of celiac disease...
What Is Celiac Disease?
What Is Celiac Disease?