What is the most severe type of cavity decay?

Most dentists would say that a condition called rampant caries is the most severe form of tooth decay. Rampant caries is deep decay on multiple teeth. Generally speaking, the deeper the decay, the more severe the cavity is.
The most severe tooth decay penetrates through the enamel and the underlying dentin into the pulp chamber, which  is the inner part of the tooth containing the neres and blood vessels.. For such severe decay, the dentist may recommend a root canal and crown, or even extraction.

Continue Learning about Cavities

Where in the mouth do cavities often develop?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
Cavities typically occur where the gums and teeth come together. Recession of the gums away from the...
Where do cavities usually occur?
William M. Litaker Jr., DDSWilliam M. Litaker Jr., DDS
Cavities usually occur in the grooves on the chewing surfaces of the back teeth. The posterior teeth...
When should I call my doctor if I have tooth decay?
If you think you have tooth decay, you should call your dentist immediately. Decay in teeth worsens ...
What research and public policy is being done about cavities?
Research is being conducted on a vaccine that may prevent cavities. Dentists are currently researchi...