How does a tooth become infected?

An abscessed (infected) tooth is caused by tooth decay. When the pulp (the soft tissue of a tooth that contains nerves, blood vessels and connective tissue) is diseased or injured and can't repair itself, it dies. The most common cause of pulp death is a cracked tooth or a deep cavity. Both of these problems can let germs (bacteria) enter the pulp. Germs can cause an infection inside the tooth. Left without treatment, pus builds up at the root tip, in the jawbone, forming a "pus-pocket" called an abscess. An abscess can cause damage to the bone around the teeth.

Continue Learning about Cavities

What is tooth decay?
Jerry P. Gordon, DMDJerry P. Gordon, DMD
Tooth decay, often referred to as a cavity is formed when bacteria that normally exist in your mouth...
What research and public policy is being done about cavities?
Research is being conducted on a vaccine that may prevent cavities. Dentists are currently researchi...
When should I seek immediate help if I have dental caries?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
Dental caries are cavities, and you may or may not experience any pain or symptoms. If you do experi...
What are cavities?
Globally, cavities are a widespread concern. They are portions of your teeth that have rotted and re...