What are the symptoms of cat-scratch disease?

An individual with cat scratch disease (CSD) will first develop a lump or pustule at the place of the scratch. This lump is called an inoculation lesion, the place where the bacteria first entered the body. Within one or two weeks lymph nodes will begin to swell in the armpit, elbow, or groin depending on the location of the scratch. Other symptoms may include tiredness, headache, rash, throat soreness, and loss of appetite. In rare cases, more extreme symptoms may occur.

Continue Learning about Cat Scratch Disease

How do I manage my cat scratch disease on a daily basis?
You can manage your cat scratch disease (CSD) on a daily basis by keeping the area of infection clea...
How is cat-scratch disease treated?
The symptoms of cat scratch disease (CSD) like swollen lymph nodes or a minor rash will usually go a...
How do other illnesses affect cat scratch disease?
Individuals with weakened immune systems because of illnesses like HIV/AIDS or because of cancer...
How do cats develop the bacteria for cat scratch disease?
Cats receive the bacteria necessary for cat scratch disease (CSD), Bartonella henselae, from fleas t...