What are some tips for tummy time for NICU babies?

Follow these tummy time tips for your NICU baby:
  • Do it early. Begin giving your baby some tummy time on his first day home from the hospital.
  • Do it regularly. Put your baby on his tummy 2 to 3 times each day for a few minutes. As your baby grows, increase the amount of time he plays on his tummy.
  • Do it with your baby. Get down on the floor with your baby. Give him some toys to reach for, or lie down on your back and put him on your chest. Your baby will learn to enjoy playing with you in this position.
  • And remember, if your baby falls asleep, gently place him on his back. For sleep, back is best.

Continue Learning about Caring For A Premature Baby

How can I protect my preterm baby from germs?
Shakira HendersonShakira Henderson
Good hand hygiene is the fundamental practice to protect you and your baby. You may also want to con...
What is skin-to-skin care for babies in the NICU?
Intermountain Registered DietitiansIntermountain Registered Dietitians
Skin-to-skin care in the NICU means holding your baby closely, with your bare skin touching. Thi...
When should I call the doctor once my baby is home from the NICU?
Methodist Stone Oak HospitalMethodist Stone Oak Hospital
It is recommended to call a doctor within a week of going home from the NICU and maintaining communi...
What should I keep in mind while taking my premature baby home?
Deborah Raines, MSNDeborah Raines, MSN
When a baby goes home from the NICU they may have some special needs. General things that parents ne...