What are the health benefits of skin-to-skin care for NICU babies?

Skin-to-skin care for babies in the neonatal intensive care unit (NICU) is a time for the newborn to be placed on the skin of a parent, generally the chest, to help with bonding and temperature control. 

Intermountain Registered Dietitians
Nutrition & Dietetics Specialist

Skin-to-skin care has important health benefits for NICU babies:

• Calms and soothes your baby
  • Helps your baby maintain a healthy body temperature
  • Helps regulate your baby’s heart rate, blood sugar and breathing
  • Improves your baby’s sleep
  • Helps your baby breastfeed
  • Lowers parents’ stress and helps them bond with their newborn
  • Helps nursing mothers produce breast milk and know when the baby is ready to nurse

Continue Learning about Caring For A Premature Baby

What should I keep in mind while taking my premature baby home?
Deborah Raines, MSNDeborah Raines, MSN
When a baby goes home from the NICU they may have some special needs. General things that parents ne...
What is the long-term treatment for premature babies?
UCLA HealthUCLA Health
Premature babies have unique issues that may need to be provided for by individualized follow-up ser...
How can I comfort my premature baby?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
Skin-to-skin contact --sometimes called “kangaroo care” -- is especially good. Not only does it ke...
How can I protect my preterm baby from germs?
Shakira HendersonShakira Henderson
Good hand hygiene is the fundamental practice to protect you and your baby. You may also want to con...