How can I protect my preterm baby from germs?

Shakira Henderson
Neonatal Nursing
Good hand hygiene is the fundamental practice to protect you and your baby. You may also want to consider vaccination as recommended by your pediatrician for your family and baby. 

A baby that is born a few weeks before it is due -- between 34 and 37 weeks of pregnancy -- is called a late preterm baby (or sometimes a near-term baby) because it was born in the “prematurity” stage but late during that period.

All newborns are vulnerable to germs. To protect your near-term baby, follow these guidelines:
  • Make everyone wash their hands before they come near your baby.
  • If someone is ill -- even if it’s just a cold -- don’t allow him near your baby. Say, “I’m sorry, but our doctor told us to be extra careful. Get well soon so you can come and see her!”
  • If you are ill, wash your hands even more often. But continue to breastfeed! Breast milk is your baby’s best protection against illness.

Continue Learning about Caring For A Premature Baby

Should I give my preterm baby a pacifier?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
If you’re breastfeeding a preterm baby, don’t give your baby a pacifier during the first month of ...
How can I make sure my premature baby gets enough breast milk?
If you’re breastfeeding, you can’t see how much milk your baby is drinking each time. To make su...
What is skin-to-skin care for babies in the NICU?
Intermountain Registered DietitiansIntermountain Registered Dietitians
Skin-to-skin care in the NICU means holding your baby closely, with your bare skin touching. Thi...
What should I keep in mind while taking my premature baby home?
Deborah Raines, MSNDeborah Raines, MSN
When a baby goes home from the NICU they may have some special needs. General things that parents ne...