How can I protect my preterm baby from germs?

Shakira Henderson
Neonatal Nursing
Good hand hygiene is the fundamental practice to protect you and your baby. You may also want to consider vaccination as recommended by your pediatrician for your family and baby. 

A baby that is born a few weeks before it is due -- between 34 and 37 weeks of pregnancy -- is called a late preterm baby (or sometimes a near-term baby) because it was born in the “prematurity” stage but late during that period.

All newborns are vulnerable to germs. To protect your near-term baby, follow these guidelines:
  • Make everyone wash their hands before they come near your baby.
  • If someone is ill -- even if it’s just a cold -- don’t allow him near your baby. Say, “I’m sorry, but our doctor told us to be extra careful. Get well soon so you can come and see her!”
  • If you are ill, wash your hands even more often. But continue to breastfeed! Breast milk is your baby’s best protection against illness.

Continue Learning about Caring For A Premature Baby

How can I make sure my premature baby gets enough breast milk?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
If you’re breastfeeding, you can’t see how much milk your baby is drinking each time. To make su...
What monitors and equipment will my baby need after leaving the NICU?
Intermountain Registered DietitiansIntermountain Registered Dietitians
Some babies will need to go home from the NICU with monitors or equipment. The most commonly used ho...
How should I feed my preterm baby?
Your near-term baby needs to eat often -- at least eight times every 24 hours. That means every 2½...
What do I need to know about traveling with my baby's medical equipment?
Babies who are on cardiac and apnea monitors should use this same equipment during travel. Be sure y...