What does my baby's cry mean?

Just as a birdwatcher can distinguish the tweets of an oriole, chickadee, or a yellow-headed caracara, it won't take long before you can ID your baby's cry. But to help you early on, here are some tip-offs about what he wants when he's fussing. If he's squirming it could be that he has a dirty diaper. If he's turning his head to the side or putting his fist to his mouth, he might be hungry. If he's pulling his legs up to the chest and has a tense body then he may have gas. If he's sweating and had red ears then he may be too warm, so check his temperature and loosen his clothing.

If he's getting goose bumps or has purplish tone to his hands and feet, he's too cold and needs a blanket or a hat and socks. If he's flailing his arms and legs or turns from the light then he might be over-stimulated, so take him out of the current environment to a quieter one. If he's blink and yawning as well as kicking, then he might be tired. And if he's squirming and looking around, he just needs a cuddle.
YOU: Having a Baby: The Owner's Manual to a Happy and Healthy Pregnancy

Can I get a cavity filled while pregnant? Will avoiding spicy foods make my kid a picky eater? Can I really increase my baby's IQ while she's in utero? Whether you're pregnant for the first time,...

Continue Learning about Caring For A Crying Baby

What can I do when I'm overwhelmed by caring for my baby?
Trish BoothTrish Booth
If you feel overwhelmed, give both of you a 15-minute break. Place your baby in the crib, walk o...
How can I comfort my young child who is always crying?
Heather Wittenberg, PhDHeather Wittenberg, PhD
If you’re not sure if your young child is just “difficult”, or is there something wrong, first, ...
Is it normal for my baby to cry a lot?
Dr. Tanya R. Altmann, MDDr. Tanya R. Altmann, MD
Babies cry! When they’re not sleeping, eating, or pooping, they’re crying! They cry when they are ...
How can I calm my crying baby?
One practical approach to calming crying babies was developed by Harvey Karp, MD, FAAP. In his The H...