Is it normal for my baby to cry a lot?

Babies cry! When they’re not sleeping, eating, or pooping, they’re crying! They cry when they are hungry, wet, cold, hurt, or for no apparent reason at all. If it seems like hours every day, you may be right. On average, newborns cry up to 2 hours a day, and over the first few months they may cry even more. As you get to know your baby better, you may learn to distinguish her cries and what they mean. Once a baby has been fed, burped, changed, and checked to make sure nothing is hurting her, it’s generally OK to let her cry for a little while. It may just be her way of blowing off steam, so give her the chance to just let it all out.
Mommy Calls: Dr. Tanya Answers Parents' Top 101 Questions About Babies and Toddlers

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------The must-have resource for parents of children up to age three! Small enough to fit in a diaper bag, but big on...

Continue Learning about Caring For A Crying Baby

What are the most common causes of crying?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
Frustration, low-level stress and watching something sad on television are the most common causes of...
How often do babies cry?
Many babies cry about an hour or two a day (crying is their only verbal means of communicating, afte...
What are the most common causes of crying in a baby?
Deborah MulliganDeborah Mulligan
Crying is the only way your baby has to communicate important messages to you. The average baby crie...
How can I avoid getting angry when my baby cries at night?
Trish BoothTrish Booth
If your baby’s crying at night upsets you, avoid handling him roughly, shaking him or forcing hi...