Is it normal for a newborn baby to be fussy?

Many newborn babies have some fussy periods during the day that can be completely normal. Sometimes, just recognizing that that is the case is the most useful thing to parents. There can be other reasons for a fussy baby that can range from a formula intolerance, to acid secretion that gets into their esophagus, to some painful contractions of their bowels.
Babies often fuss. If she’s been fed, changed and checked to make sure nothing is hurting her, its ok to let her fuss for a little while. Often it’s just her way of blowing of steam. So give her the chance to just let it all out. You can try swaddling, rocking or singing to her, it may help. If she is truly inconsolable or isn't feeding well call your pediatrician.

Continue Learning about Caring For A Crying Baby

Is it normal for my baby to cry a lot?
Dr. Tanya R. Altmann, MDDr. Tanya R. Altmann, MD
Babies cry! When they’re not sleeping, eating, or pooping, they’re crying! They cry when they are ...
How often do babies cry?
Many babies cry about an hour or two a day (crying is their only verbal means of communicating, afte...
What should I do when my baby cries out for me at night?
Nicole H. Gorton, MDNicole H. Gorton, MD
At some point, your baby will wake up and cry out for you. Every parent tends to handle this differe...
When do babies change their crying patterns?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
During our earliest months in life, we cry to get our most basic needs fulfilled. We cry if we are t...