What carbohydrates have a low glycemic index (GI)?

Examples of carbohydrate-containing foods with a low glycemic index (GI) include dried beans and legumes (like kidney beans and lentils), all non-starchy vegetables and some starchy vegetables, most fruit, and many whole grain breads and cereals (like barley, whole wheat bread, rye bread, and all-bran cereal). Meats and fats don't have a GI because they do not contain carbohydrate.

Continue Learning about Carbohydrates

Toddler Drinks and Infant Formula Can Have Hidden Sugars
Attention parents: Read the nutrition facts and ingredient label of all toddler drinks and infant formula. In a study published in Preventive Medicine...
Is excessive consumption of carbohydrates a factor in premature aging?
Michael T. Murray, NDMichael T. Murray, ND
Many in the medical and research communities now believe that excessive consumption of carbohydrates...
What are the different types of carbohydrates in our diet?
Jonathan A. Fialkow, MDJonathan A. Fialkow, MD
Carbohydrates provide your body with the glucose it needs to function properly. There are two types ...
Should I Cut Carbohydrates Completely from My Diet?