question

How much sugar does the average person consume every year?

Joan Salge Blake, MS, RD
Joan Salge Blake, MS, RD on behalf of Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
answer
American's sweet tooth may not be so sweet for their waist. Americans, on average, are consuming 22 teaspoons of added sugar daily, the equivalent of 350 calories. That's over 8,000 teaspoons annually! This amount is double the amount recommended daily by the American Heart Association.

With over 65 percent of Americans tipping the bathroom scale in the direction of being classified as overweight or even obese, few of us have an extra 350 calories kicking around in our daily diets to be devoted to less nutrition-rich foods with tons of added sugar.

Where is all of this sugar coming from?

The three top sources of added sugar in the diet of Americans are:
  • Soft drinks, energy drinks, and sports drinks;
  • Grain-based desserts, such as cakes and cookies; and
  • Fruit drinks.
Follow Joan on Twitter at:  joansalgeblake

Continue Learning about Carbohydrates

Eating Complex
Eating Complex
Good carbs versus bad carbs: Do you know the difference? Carbohydrates have gotten a bad rap, and that's a shame. Eat the right kind of carbs -- the ...
When counting carbs, can I deduct the total grams of fiber?
When counting carbs, can I deduct the total grams of fiber? You can subtract half the grams of fiber...
Do carbohydrates affect children differently than adults?
Learn why you should introduce healthy carbohydrates to your child early in life.
When figuring net carbs, can I subtract protein?
When figuring net carbs, can I subtract protein? When figuring net carbs, you can subtract carb gram...