Does my body need sugar?

• ADr. Mehmet Oz, MD, Cardiology (Cardiovascular Disease), answered
    Insulin and Blood Sugar
    Cells in your body use sugar from starches, fruits, and sugars you eat for fuel or store it for future use. Watch the animation to learn more about your body and sugar.

• AIntermountain Registered Dietitians, Nutrition & Dietetics, answered on behalf of Intermountain Healthcare
    Your body does need carbohydrates, which are broken down into sugar in your body. This sugar is essential for your body to create energy to survive. However, it is not necessary to include sugary foods or added sugars in the diet in order for your body to make energy. A diet with adequate complex carbohydrates (from foods such as whole grains and legumes) as well as foods containing natural sugar (such as fruit and milk) will fulfill this role.
How does my body use sugar for energy?