How can I figure out how many calories I eat in a week?

Scripps Health Admin
Administration
Keep a journal of everything you eat or drink during the day, including that cappuccino or handful of peanuts, and use it to calculate your daily calorie intake. There are a number of websites and apps that provide calorie counts for nearly all kinds of foods and drinks; just enter the item, and the site does the rest. Some even keep a running total for you. A great resource for how many calories you need and how to eat the right amount is a registered dietitian. These professionals are highly trained and usually have much more schooling than a typical nutritionist.
Jessica Crandall

There are many different way to calculate your caloric intake. There are phone apps and internet sources that are easy to navigate. My Fitness Pal is user friendly and can be accessed online or an app. Just write down what you eat during the day and log it into the diary. It will calculate the caloric intake and other nutrition facts. Be sure you pay attention to portion size you're eating. Portions can be miscalculated and give a false calorie count.

Dr. Andrea Pennington, MD
Integrative Medicine
To get a handle on how many calories you do eat in a week, begin to keep a food diary. If you thought about every cookie, every tablespoon of coffee creamer, the pats of butter or handful of M&Ms you eat, you'd find that you could easily cut 300-500 calories from your daily intake without feeling deprived. But you have to see it to believe it. So write down everything you put into your mouth for a seven day period. Write down your mood and energy level, too.

Continue Learning about Calories

This Nut Has Fewer Calories Than You Think
Even though nuts are brimming with excellent nutrition, sometimes you shy away because of the calories. But here's a nut that may have fewer calories ...
How does eating frequent meals affect calorie consumption?
Joel H. Fuhrman, MDJoel H. Fuhrman, MD
Frequent eating has been shown to increase calorie consumption. In addition, scientific studies,...
How many calories does the brain consume?
Neal SpruceNeal Spruce
An adult brain uses approximately 110 calories per pound, per day. The average adult brain weighs ab...
How Do You Reduce Body Fat?
How Do You Reduce Body Fat?