Is it true that some foods cost more calories to digest than they provide?

There are fad diets, often called “negative Calorie diets” that claim the digestion and metabolism of certain foods will negate the Calories they provide. There is no scientific evidence to support this. We need a balance of nutritious foods to stay healthy and slightly less of them to lose weight.
Jill Weisenberger

Unfortunately no. It is true that eating uses calories (chewing, digestion, absorption and storage of nutrients), but the amount isn’t greater than the calories in the food. Since non-starchy vegetables like broccoli, green beans, tomatoes and carrots are very low calorie, they will help with weight loss however, as long as you don’t cover them with butter, sauces and dressings. Because they're so filling for few calories, you’ll eat less overall at the same meal and later on. 

Kat Barefield, MS, RD
I believe the Mayo Clinic researched this topic and found that the act of chewing sugarless gum at a certain rate burned a few more calories than the calories in the gum but we don't actually eat and digest the gum, it's the chewing activity that burns the calories so at this point the answer is no.

Continue Learning about Calories

This Nut Has Fewer Calories Than You Think
Even though nuts are brimming with excellent nutrition, sometimes you shy away because of the calories. But here's a nut that may have fewer calories ...
Should I count calories?
Calories do count -- and counting calories is one way to measure your weight loss efforts -- but it ...
Am I burning calories when I shiver?
Dr. Robin Miller, MDDr. Robin Miller, MD
Shivering does burn calories. When you shiver, your body makes irisin, a hormone secreted during exe...
Am I Burning Calories When I Shiver?
Am I Burning Calories When I Shiver?