What lifestyle changes should I make if I have burning mouth syndrome?

If you experience burning mouth, it's possible that spicy or hot foods can trigger the problem. You may wish to avoid or limit these foods. Also, some people have found that chewing gum helps, as it creates extra saliva, or using saliva inducors.

Stress, anxiety or depression can also be factors. Try to limit these factors. You may wish to try mediatation or other relaxation techniques. It may help to use ointments or gels regularly to lessen the burning sensation. See your dentist if you are experiencing this pain for the best course of treatment.

Some simple lifestyle changes can help you manage the pain of burning mouth syndrome, a condition that causes a fiery sensation in your mouth. Don't smoke or use tobacco and avoid acidic foods such as tomatoes, soft drinks, and coffee that can irritate your mouth. Learn ways to manage your stress because it can aggravate your symptoms, which can include chronic pain, numbness, a bitter or metallic taste or a feeling of dry mouth although you're producing enough saliva. Your burning mouth symptoms may get worse during the day, subside at night and return in the morning. Symptoms can last for months or years.

If you have burning mouth syndrome (also known as BMS or glossodynia), you should focus on pain relief techniques. Yoga, meditation. and other forms of relaxation can help you deal with the stress of burning mouth pain. If you smoke, quitting can improve your symptoms. Change your diet and avoid foods that aggravate your symptoms. Try to keep active and maintain a social life, as depression and anxiety can cause you to lose interest in pleasurable activities.

Continue Learning about Burning Mouth Syndrome

Can burning mouth syndrome (BMS) affect my diet?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
Burning mouth syndrome (BMS) may affect your diet, and diet may be related to BMS. Allergies to cert...
What are the emotional effects of burning mouth syndrome?
Burning mouth can result in prolonged pain and a burning feeling on your tongue. For many people the...
What dental problems can cause burning mouth syndrome?
Some dental problems can be a factor in burning mouth syndrome. These include:poor fitting denturesd...
What is the duration of burning mouth syndrome?
Burning mouth syndrome can vary in individuals. For some people this can potentially last years. Bur...