How should I prepare for an appointment to diagnose burning mouth syndrome?

If you are experiencing burning mouth, your dentist will try to determine the cause and find treatment. You may wish to document the types of foods that may trigger the problem. You may also wish to track the time(s) of day when the problem is worst. Take a list of the medications you are taking. As stress, anxiety or depression can be factors, think about whether you are experiencing any of these. The more information you can provide your dentist, the better he/she will be able to help in determining possible causes in order to treat you.
Before you see a doctor for burning mouth syndrome, make a detailed list of all the symptoms you have been experiencing. Be prepared to describe what's going on in your life: Are you feeling more stress than usual? Have there been any significant changes in your life? As with any doctor's visit, be sure to bring with you a list of any medications you're currently taking. Know your medical history, including any major illnesses your blood relatives currently have or have had in the past. Make sure to write down all the questions you have about burning mouth syndrome so you can get them answered by your doctor.

First off, you should keep a log of the symptoms you've experienced. Write down the frequency and severity of these symptoms and anything that makes them worse. Then, make a list of any questions you have about burning mouth syndrome and bring them with you. A list of all prescription and over-the-counter medications will help your doctor with diagnosis and treatment as well.

Continue Learning about Burning Mouth Syndrome

What is the duration of burning mouth syndrome?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
Burning mouth syndrome can vary in individuals. For some people this can potentially last years. Bur...
What lifestyle changes should I make if I have burning mouth syndrome?
If you experience burning mouth, it's possible that spicy or hot foods can trigger the problem. You ...
Can burning mouth syndrome cause changes to the appearance of my mouth?
Burning mouth will not alter your appearance. However, some factors of burning mouth could result in...
What are the emotional effects of burning mouth syndrome?
Burning mouth can result in prolonged pain and a burning feeling on your tongue. For many people the...