What is the Salter-Harris classification for broken bones in children?

The Salter-Harris classification is used by physicians to help determine the extent of a growth plate injury in a child. This classification will help determine if the area will be put into a cast or require surgery.
(This answer provided for NATA by the Eastern University Athletic Training Education Program.)

Continue Learning about Broken Bones in Children

How is a wrist fracture treated in children?
Rocky Mountain Hospital for Children at P/SLRocky Mountain Hospital for Children at P/SL
A broken wrist, or wrist fracture, in a child is generally treated with casting. In some situations,...
How do I take care of my child when his or her cast is itching?
If your child has itching from a cast, turn a hair dryer on the cool setting and aim it under the ca...
What should I expect when my child’s cast is removed?
Roger Saldana, MDRoger Saldana, MD
When your child’s cast or splint is removed, the area may appear thin and your child may complain th...
How are pins used to treat broken bones in children?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
Pins are used to keep broken bones in place until they heal. They are small metal rods from the ...