How does the triangle breathing exercise help me lower my stress level?

Pam Grout
Alternative & Complementary Medicine

It is the simplest breathing exercise you can do, wherever you happen to be. You don't need a leotard or a tape or a perky, bouncy fitness expert to lead you.

1. Simply inhale through the nose for a count of four.
  2. Hold the air in your lungs for a count of four.
  3. Exhale through the nose for a count of four.

Not only does this assure you of a complete and rounded breath, but it forces you to focus purely on the act of breathing - invaluable if you're trying to un-clutter your mind to concentrate on a race, a business meeting, or whatever shrieking reality you find yourself in. Visualizing a triangle as you count (mentally "moving" from point to point) will also help you keep your rhythm as you relax.

If you do this for three or four minutes at a stretch, you'll lower your stress level, both mental and physical. The old ticker will thank you for it and the lungs will finally get a well-deserved break from the sporadic and tension-fraught air-gulping to which you've been subjecting them.

Jumpstart Your Metabolism: How To Lose Weight By Changing The Way You Breathe

If you've tried every conceivable combination of diet and exercise and still can't shed those extra pounds, then perhaps you haven't discovered the hidden key to weight loss -- proper breathing. By...

Continue Learning about Breathing Exercises

The Benefits of Deep Breathing
The Benefits of Deep Breathing
In To Have and Have Not, Marie (Lauren Bacall) asks Harry (Humphrey Bogart), “You know how to whistle don’t you? You just put your lips together and b...
What are the benefits of deep breathing?
What will deep breathing get you? A lot, actually. For one, it helps transport nitric oxide—a very ...
Can deep breathing help me better enjoy life?
Pam GroutPam Grout
The best way to get past the crosses that you've unwittingly decided to bear is by breathing. It's t...
Can Deep Breathing Reduce Stress?
Can Deep Breathing Reduce Stress?