How can I perform the Harmonic Breath Exercise?

Master Stephen Co
Alternative & Complementary Medicine

The Harmonic Breath Exercise is as follows:

Starting position: (Note: Wash your hands with salt soap or spray them with alcohol before beginning this exercise. Your hands can pick up a lot of dirty energy.) Raise your left hand and rest your left thumb lightly against your left nostril. Keep the other fingers of your left hand relaxed.

Exercise: Exhale comfortably. Pinch your left nostril shut with your left thumb, and inhale for a six count through your right nostril. (One second per count is a good pace.) Pinch your right nostril shut with your left forefinger, and hold for a count of three. Take your left thumb off your left nostril, and exhale for a count of six through the left nostril. Pinch your left nostril again, and hold for a count of three. Open your left nostril, and keeping your right nostril pinched shut, inhale for a count of six through your left nostril. Then pinch your left nostril shut with your left thumb, and hold for a count of three. Take your left forefinger off your right nostril and exhale for a count of six. Close the right nostril off again, and hold for a count of three. This constitutes one cycle. Repeat the sequence four more times for a total of five breaths. When you are finished, perform one cycle of pranic breathing, and then relax and be aware of your body for a few moments.

Key modification: The original Mentalphysics program calls for this rhythm: inhale for four counts, hold for 16, exhale for eight; then again with the other nostril, inhale for four, hold for 16, exhale for eight. The 6–3–6–3 sequence is the optimum rhythm and retention sequence.

Energetic effect: This exercise cleans and balances the energy of both sides of the brain. It also cleans and balances the energy of the left and right sides of the body.

Your Hands Can Heal You: Pranic Healing Energy Remedies to Boost Vitality and Speed Recovery from Common Health Problems

What if one of the most effective tools you have to restore your health is not surgery or medications, but your own hands? Incredibly, your hands can heal you -- with the "energy medicine" of Pranic...

Continue Learning about Breathing Exercise Techniques

How can I limber up my respiration?
Pam GroutPam Grout
This cocktail is great at limbering up the oxygen passageways. Do this sequence once a day. Stand wi...
What is visualized breathing?
Dr. Marni Feuerman, LCSW, MFTDr. Marni Feuerman, LCSW, MFT
Both visualization and breathing exercises have been found to be really successful stress relief str...
How can I practice proper breathing technique?
To learn proper breathing technique, I recommend taking yoga lessons-where people focus as much on t...
What are the different ways to breathe?
Dr. Michelle Cleere - Sharecare Fitness Expert, PhDDr. Michelle Cleere - Sharecare Fitness Expert, PhD
One good breathing technique is to consciously breath in through your nose and out through your mout...