How do I take a cleansing breath?

Dr. Kathleen Hall
Preventive Medicine
To take a cleansing breath:
  • Inhale deeply into your belly, through the nose (if you can't, use your mouth), bringing the air deeply into the lower lobes of your lungs. As you do this your abdomen will rise. On your out breath, your abdomen will sink back into your spine.
  • Be aware of your ribs. Experience your rib cage expanding and contracting with each deep breath.
  • Inhale to the count of five, and then hold for a moment and then exhale to the count of five.
Notice how clear your mind feels, how refreshed your body feels, and what strength and power you experience. Set an alarm or have reminders on your mirror, in your car, or at your desk to take cleansing breaths during your busy days and don't forget to pass it on to your children, spouse, and coworkers. It is the gift of life, literally.
A Life in Balance: Nourishing the Four Roots of True Happiness

Nautilus Book Awards Winners for 2007 (category: Self-Help/Psychology/ Personal Growth) "Like many people, Kathleen Hall found that despite great success and material wealth, she had yet to identify...

Continue Learning about Breathing Exercise Techniques

How can I exercise with a paralyzed diaphragm?
Paralysis of the diaphragm is not common and symptoms can vary. Diaphragmatic paralysis can affect o...
Should I begin pranic breathing slowly at first?
Master Stephen CoMaster Stephen Co
There’s an old Chinese martial arts saying that’s translated roughly as “smooth is fast.” This maxim...
How can I perform obstacle breathing exercises?
Pam GroutPam Grout
Find an everyday drinking straw.Start paying attention to your “in breath" and "out breath."Take a b...
How do I perform alternative nostril breathing exercises?
Pam GroutPam Grout
Sit in a chair or on a comfortable mat on the floor with your back straight. Essentially, what you w...