What is the social value of breastfeeding?

Dr. Maria E. Poortenga, MD
Neonatal-Perinatal Medicine Specialist

The social value of breastfeeding comes from the perspective of its benefit to the population. Breastfeeding is a way to just even out the playing field from poverty to wealth in the sense that every baby whose mom provides breast milk is getting the same exact start, independent of their financial situation. In addition to that, there's a process of the community, the workplace, all going to support the baby and the mother in providing the best start for both.

Continue Learning about Breastfeeding A Baby

Breastfeeding and the Workplace
Breastfeeding and the Workplace
“Pumping Up with Hans and Franz” was a much-loved sketch with Dana Carvey and Kevin Nealon that debuted on Saturday Night Live in 1987. The duo often ...
Can I breastfeed if I am a vegetarian?
Nilima DesaiNilima Desai
Yes, absolutely! Breastfeeding is considered the Gold standard of nourishment for your baby. Make su...
Where can I get help with breastfeeding?
Dr. Doreen Rogers, PhDDr. Doreen Rogers, PhD
Where to get help with breastfeeding:Breastfeeding help and support is just a phone call away.Talk t...
Is Breastfeeding Impossible After Breast Augmentation Surgery?