What is the social value of breastfeeding?

Maria E. Poortenga, MD
Neonatal-Perinatal Medicine
The social value of breastfeeding comes from the perspective of its benefit to the population. Breastfeeding is a way to just even out the playing field from poverty to wealth in the sense that every baby whose mom provides breast milk is getting the same exact start, independent of their financial situation. In addition to that, there's a process of the community, the workplace, all going to support the baby and the mother in providing the best start for both.

Trinity Health is a Catholic health care organization that acts in accordance with the Catholic tradition and does not condone or support all practices covered in this site.  In case of emergency call 911. This site is educational and not a substitute for professional medical advice, always seek the advice of a qualified healthcare provider.

Continue Learning about Breastfeeding A Baby

Ask Dr. Darria: Breastfeeding Has Become Painful. What Can I Do?
I want to breastfeed my baby, but my nipples have become sore and I’m starting to dread nursing her. I thought this was supposed to be a positive, bon...
What's the best way to take my medicine if I'm breastfeeding?
Dr. Elif E. Oker, MDDr. Elif E. Oker, MD
Take your medicine as directed by your physician. Be sure to let your physician know you are breast ...
How can I store my breast milk?
Dr. Tanya R. Altmann, MDDr. Tanya R. Altmann, MD
Depending on the pump you have, breast milk can be pumped directly into special breast milk freezer ...
6 Ways That Show How Breastfeeding Benefits Mom's Health