How can I use a salt solution for sore nipples due to breastfeeding?

If the skin isn't broken, try soaking your nipples in a mild salt solution (saline). Here's what to do:
  1. Mix 1 teaspoon table salt with 2 cups warm water.
  2. Dip two 2x2-inch gauze pads in the salt solution and remove them without wringing all of the salt solution from the gauze.
  3. Place the wet gauze pads on your nipples, molding them to cover all of the sore areas.
  4. Keep the pads on for 5 to 10 minutes, then remove them and blot your nipples dry. (You don't need to rinse off your nipples.) You can then apply lanolin, a gel pad, or vegetable/olive oil for extra soothing. Repeat the steps above 3 to 4 times a day after breastfeeding.

Continue Learning about Breastfeeding A Baby

Breastfeeding, the Next Olympic Sport
Breastfeeding, the Next Olympic Sport
This week’s cover of Time shows a young mother breastfeeding her son—a boy, nearly 4 years old, who is standing on a chair to reach his mother’s breas...
When should I get help if I am having problems with breastfeeding?
St. David’s HealthCareSt. David’s HealthCare
If you are having problems with breastfeeding, consider getting help by calling a lactation consulta...
How should I thaw my stored frozen breast milk for serving?
Shelley WebbShelley Webb
There are a couple of ways to thaw frozen breast milk. The first is to place it in a small pan of co...
Is Breastfeeding Impossible After Breast Augmentation Surgery?