How can I increase the benefits of breastfeeding?

Several studies note that the benefits of breastfeeding are magnified by these two factors:
  • Give it time. The American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) recommends breastfeeding for at least the first year of your baby’s life. After the first year, breastfeeding should continue for as long as mother and baby wish.
  • Feed your baby mother’s milk exclusively at first. The AAP recommends that for the first six months, mother’s milk should be the only food your baby receives. After six months, you may want to introduce other healthy foods and drinks as your baby’s doctor suggests. Of course, any amount of breastfeeding is healthy for your baby. But in general, the experts agree that more is better.

Continue Learning about Breastfeeding A Baby

Amazing Breastfeeding Benefits for Moms
Amazing Breastfeeding Benefits for Moms
More new moms than ever are nursing their newborns, according to the latest Breastfeeding Report Card from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Pr...
How long can I store my breast milk?
This depends on where the breast milk is being stored. Out on the counter top, it will stay fresh fo...
Does breastfeeding cause an infant to be constipated?
Joy BryantJoy Bryant
Something to consider is "why do you think your baby is constipated?" Breast fed babies will grunt w...
Is Breastfeeding Impossible After Breast Augmentation Surgery?