Can I breastfeed if I am a vegetarian?

Vandana  R. Sheth

Absolutely, breastfeeding is a very special experience and one which provides your baby with the best source of nutrition.  However, if you are vegetarian do ensure that your diet is well-balanced, varied and adequate in calories, protein and nutrients in the right amounts to meet both your needs for lactation.  Consider seeing a registered dietitian specializing in vegetarian nutrition to assess your individual needs and guide you through this process. 

Continue Learning about Breastfeeding A Baby

Amazing Breastfeeding Benefits for Moms
Amazing Breastfeeding Benefits for Moms
More new moms than ever are nursing their newborns, according to the latest Breastfeeding Report Card from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Pr...
Can I take cough or cold medicine while I’m breastfeeding?
Dr. Darria Long Gillespie, MDDr. Darria Long Gillespie, MD
It depends on what’s in the medicine, so you really have to read the labels.   It’s hard to determ...
How should I deal with engorged breasts when breastfeeding?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
It is common for your breasts to feel fuller as you start producing milk. This usually happens two...
What can I do if I think my baby isn't getting enough milk?
If you are concerned that your baby is not getting enough milk, try the following suggestions for ...