Why is breastfeeding important for my baby's health?

We firmly believe that breastfeeding is the best way to nourish your child. Your body knows exactly what your baby needs and puts together the best possible cocktail in the form of breast milk, which contains protein, healthy fat, sugar, vitamins, and minerals, and some protective immune fighters. Breast milk will help your child grow and enjoy good health. What might be most amazing is that the composition actually alters as your baby grows, adapting to her changing needs. And yes, there's clear evidence that breast milk helps protect against infection, allergies, asthma, and many other conditions.
YOU: Raising Your Child: The Owner's Manual from First Breath to First Grade

There’s little doubt that parenting can be one of the most rewarding and satisfying experiences you’ll ever have. But it can be plenty tough, too: Around the clock, you’re working to keep your...
Mother’s milk is uniquely valuable for babies’ health. Store-bought infant formula provides nutrition, but only mother’s milk:
  • contains antibodies, substances that help your baby resist disease
  • provides a perfect balance of nutrients to help your baby grow and develop
  • protects your baby against allergies and is easy to digest

Continue Learning about Breastfeeding A Baby

Your Health Affects Your Breast Milk, and Your Baby
There’s one Oregon woman on YouTube who has a condition called hyperlactation and produces 1.75 gallons of milk daily. Over the last few years, she ha...
What should I do if I have problems breastfeeding?
HCA VirginiaHCA Virginia
Although most breastfeeding-related problems can be corrected with changing how you're actually doin...
How can I avoid bruised or cracked nipples while breastfeeding?
Brigham and Women's HospitalBrigham and Women's Hospital
A breastfeeding mother never should experience blisters, bruising, or cracks on her nipples. Thi...
Breastfeeding Provides Ideal Nutrition for Babies