Why is breastfeeding important for my baby's health?

Mother’s milk is uniquely valuable for babies’ health. Store-bought infant formula provides nutrition, but only mother’s milk:
  • contains antibodies, substances that help your baby resist disease
  • provides a perfect balance of nutrients to help your baby grow and develop
  • protects your baby against allergies and is easy to digest
We firmly believe that breastfeeding is the best way to nourish your child. Your body knows exactly what your baby needs and puts together the best possible cocktail in the form of breast milk, which contains protein, healthy fat, sugar, vitamins, and minerals, and some protective immune fighters. Breast milk will help your child grow and enjoy good health. What might be most amazing is that the composition actually alters as your baby grows, adapting to her changing needs. And yes, there's clear evidence that breast milk helps protect against infection, allergies, asthma, and many other conditions.
YOU: Raising Your Child: The Owner's Manual from First Breath to First Grade

There’s little doubt that parenting can be one of the most rewarding and satisfying experiences you’ll ever have. But it can be plenty tough, too: Around the clock, you’re working to keep your...

Continue Learning about Breastfeeding A Baby

The After-Birth Trick for Better Breastfeeding
When Mila Kunis, wife of Ashton Kutcher and star of Bad Moms, breastfed her now four-year-old Wyatt Isabelle in public, she had a straightforward answ...
How can I help my baby stay awake while breastfeeding?
Dr. Tanya R. Altmann, MDDr. Tanya R. Altmann, MD
Some babies will tend to fall asleep in the first few weeks of life when the flow of milk is slow,...
How can I tell if my baby is getting enough breast milk?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
When you're breastfeeding, you can't directly see how much milk your baby is taking in. An easy fi...
Is Breastfeeding Impossible After Breast Augmentation Surgery?