Why are joints easily injured?

Joints (where bones meet) allow movement to occur. There are different types of joints: those that permit a wide range of movement (like the shoulder joint), and those that provide limited movement (like those of the spine). Muscles surround joints and create movement by contracting and relaxing.

Most noncontact injuries occur around joints. Joints can become misaligned due to overactivity or underactivity of muscles that surround them. If a muscle on one side of a joint is short and overactive, the muscle on the opposite side of the joint will be long and underactive, which will create an imbalance and limit the movement of the joint. This imbalance can lead to compensation and eventually a breakdown of the movement chain.

When this happens, injury can occur.

Continue Learning about Bone & Joint Injuries

Treatment Options for Dupuytren's Contracture
Dupuytren’s contracture, or Dupuytren’s disease, is a systemic disorder that results in the deformity of one or both hands. It typically affects men, ...
How should I do sitting knee extensions after hip replacement surgery?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
Here's how to do sitting knee extensions after hip-replacement surgery: Sit with your legs bent t...
If I have an injury is it better to use ice or heat?
Menorah Medical CenterMenorah Medical Center
Ice can effectively treat acutely sore muscles and joints as a result of strenuous activity. Heat is...
What Is a Shin Splint?
What Is a Shin Splint?