What is hemoglobin and how does it work?

Hemoglobin is a component of red blood cells (RBCs). RBCs carry oxygen to every part of the body and need hemoglobin to do this. RBCs need to be round and flexible to move easily through the bloodstream, and hemoglobin needs to be the right shape, too, for carrying oxygen. 

The main function of red blood cells is the transport of oxygen from the lungs to the body's cells. Red blood cells contain a protein called hemoglobin that actually carries that oxygen.

In capillaries, oxygen is released to be used by the body's cells. Ninety-seven percent of the oxygen carried by the blood from the lungs is carried through hemoglobin. The other 3 percent is dissolved in the plasma. Hemoglobin allows blood to move 30 to 100 times more oxygen than could possibly be dissolved in the plasma alone.

In the lungs, where the oxygen level is high, hemoglobin combines loosely with oxygen. The hemoglobin then easily releases that oxygen into the capillaries, where the oxygen level is low. In each molecule of hemoglobin there are four iron atoms. Each iron atom binds with one molecule of oxygen. The iron in hemoglobin is what gives blood its red color.

Thirty-three percent of a red blood cell is hemoglobin. The normal concentration of hemoglobin is 15.5 grams per deciliter of blood in men. In women, the normal concentration is 14 grams per deciliter of blood.

Continue Learning about Blood Basics

Uncle Sam Needs You! To Donate Your Blood
Giving blood to people who desperately need it is an essential part of modern medicine. The first documented vascular transfusion came in 1667 when a ...
Step Up: Take Your Blood Pressure Meds and Save Your Life
Q: How can I convince my husband to take his high blood pressure medicine? Help! Katie J., Sioux Falls, SD A: Katie, you’re right to be concerned—un...
What are the functions of blood?
SecondsCount.orgSecondsCount.org
One of the most important functions of blood is the transportation of oxygen and nutrients to al...
Can I donate blood if I have a cold or the flu?
You should not donate blood when you're sick. In fact, the National Institutes of Health says th...