How common is bloating?

Lawrence S. Friedman, MD
Gastroenterology
Bloating (a feeling of fullness and tightness in the abdomen) affects 10% to 30% of the general population, with women twice as likely to experience it as men. Functional bloating is an independent diagnosis, but it is also frequently associated with other functional gastrointestinal (GI) disorders. For example, 75% of irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) patients complain of bloating; in fact, IBS patients often rank bloating as their most bothersome symptom. Bloating is also often accompanied by excessive flatulence and frequent belching.

Bloating is a fairly common condition of excess gas in the body. About 11 percent of all people experience bloating. It is usually caused by a person's inability to digest certain foods, especially legumes, vegetables, and dairy products.

Continue Learning about Bloating

What kind of doctor should I see for my bloating?
Patsy CatsosPatsy Catsos
Ask your doctor for a referral to a registered dietitian, or contact one on your own. Dietitians are...
What can cause my stomach to be distended?
When your lunch reaches your stomach, acids begin the digestive process, but the bulk of the work is...
4 Surprising Causes of Belly Bloating
4 Surprising Causes of Belly Bloating4 Surprising Causes of Belly Bloating4 Surprising Causes of Belly Bloating4 Surprising Causes of Belly Bloating
Learn how to ease bloating and flatten your belly.
Which Foods Can Cause Stomach Bloating?
Which Foods Can Cause Stomach Bloating?