What are the treatment options for bladder fistula?

Bladder fistulas almost always require surgery; nonsurgical therapy is usually not effective. Sometimes a fistula is a complication of another condition, such as inflammation or cancer. When that is the case, the fistula is usually repaired in conjunction with other surgeries to treat the original condition. For other patients, it is possible for the fistula to be cured with laparoscopic surgery for the fistula alone. In either case, the surgery uses the healthy tissue surrounding the fistula to close it, so surgical success is directly related to the condition of this tissue. In the occasional case of a simple fistula (one that is not associated with cancer or radiation therapy), bladder drainage for a minimum of four weeks may allow the fistula to heal without surgery.

Continue Learning about Bladder Disease

Worst Case Scenario: I'm Holding It In
Worst Case Scenario: I'm Holding It In
Can holding your urine cause damage? Find out in this video from Dr. Oz. Medically reviewed in May 2018.
What is exstrophy in children?
Grace Hyun, MDGrace Hyun, MD
Exstrophy is an uncommon congenital bladder anomaly that results when the tissue making up the a...
What can I expect after surgery to repair a bladder fistula?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
Surgery to repair a bladder fistula can be successful if enough healthy tissue is available to close...
What Are the Symptoms of Interstitial Cystitis/Painful Bladder Syndrome?