What should I do when my partner with bipolar disorder overspends?

Ms. Julie A. Fast
Mental Health
There are some steps you will need to take to protect yourself when your bipolar partner's mania goes too far. You can certainly try to take away the credit and debit cards. You have the right to do what it takes to protect your personal finances. Your partner may get angry while sick and then be very grateful when they are better. If your partner already has had a severe spending spree, you need to face it head-on. Return what you can immediately. Explain your situation to managers and business owners. Educate your banker and the credit card companies. Explain that you need help. You may be surprised at how kind some people can be.

Remember, in the stress of the moment when your partner is ill, you are likely to feel overwhelmed by the money crisis. Just keep fixing things step by step. And then work on a treatment plan so that a manic spending spree never happens again.
Loving Someone with Bipolar Disorder: Understanding and Helping Your Partner (The New Harbinger Loving Someone Series)

Maintaining a relationship is hard enough without the added challenges of your partner’s bipolar disorder symptoms. Loving Someone with Bipolar Disorder offers information and step-by-step advice...

Continue Learning about Bipolar Disorder

Living With Bipolar Disorder
Living With Bipolar Disorder
In this roundtable discussion, four people living with bipolar disorder have an open and honest conversation about the challenges they’ve faced and th...
When is bipolar disorder most likely to occur?
Sheri Van DijkSheri Van Dijk
Bipolar disorder most often occurs in the late teens to early 20's (the average age of onset is 21 y...
How can I help my friend who may have bipolar disorder?
If you think a friend may have bipolar disorder, encourage him to see a doctor. Getting a diagnosis ...
What Is the Role of Genetics and Environment with Bipolar Disorder?