Why should I undergo continuous treatment if I have bipolar disorder?

John Preston, PsyD
When feeling good, people with bipolar disorder often tend to deny having an illness. They also tend to discontinue treatment even when it's working, because they feel better and believe they don't need medication. If things are better, stick with the program, because that's a clear sign that it's working. It's easy to tell yourself, "The episode is over now, so I can stop taking my medications." This is a decision that should only be made in conjunction with your healthcare provider. Although it may be possible to taper treatments over time, in most cases, people with bipolar disorder need ongoing forms of treatment, because the disorder (if untreated) usually gets more serious over one's lifetime.
Bipolar 101: A Practical Guide to Identifying Triggers, Managing Medications, Coping with Symptoms, and More

After receiving a bipolar diagnosis, you need clear answers. Bipolar 101 is a straightforward guide to understanding bipolar disorder. It includes all the information you need to control your...
In most cases, bipolar disorder is much better controlled if treatment is continuous, than if it is on and off. But even when there are no breaks in treatment, mood changes can occur and should be reported immediately to the doctor so that adjustments can be made to the treatment plan and possibly prevent a full-blown episode. Working closely with the doctor and communicating openly about treatment concerns and options can make a difference in the effectiveness of treatment.

Continue Learning about Bipolar Disorder Treatment

Why should I take my bipolar disorder medications regularly?
John Preston, PsyDJohn Preston, PsyD
If you have bipolar disorder, long-term stability depends on maintaining medication treatment co...
When should I ask my doctor to change my medication for bipolar disorder?
Amanda C. Itzkoff, MDAmanda C. Itzkoff, MD
You may ask your doctor to change your bipolar depression medication if you are pregnant, still expe...
How Is Bipolar Treated?
How Is Bipolar Treated?
Can a Person with Bipolar Disorder Get "Well"?