How can I improve my social life if I have bipolar disorder?

Ellen Frudakis
Health Education
Here are some ways to improve your social life if you have bipolar disorder:
  • Parks and Recreation Clubs -- Some communities have parks and recreation departments that focus on providing fun activities in their area. Some even offer specific programs just for people with disabilities.
  • Volunteer -- Volunteering is a great way to get connected in your community and be involved with a cause you are interested in. For example, if you like the beach you might try volunteering for a beach clean-up event. If you love art, see if there are any local galleries that need volunteers to help out. Sometimes you can find people or agencies that keep track of all the organizations that need volunteers in your area. This can make it easier to find something that interests you without having to ask around or contact each organization individually.
  • Neighbors -- Not everyone knows their neighbors these days, but chances are you have passed them as you come and go from your home or apartment. Start off slowly by saying hi and asking how their day went. This may lead to longer conversations here and there, and slowly you might find that you are building a relationship with them. If you feel comfortable, ask them if they would like to go to a movie or on a walk with you.
  • Education/School -- Take a no cost / no credit course through your local community college district. This can take the pressure off if you are unable to make a semester-long commitment but want to try something new. Take an arts or crafts class at a local art studio. Join a book club. If you are a book lover this is a great way to get involved with others with similar interests. You can also join a writing group.
  • Politics -- If you are interested in politics and want to be around others like yourself, you can generally find a local group that organizes rallies or supports political candidates running for office. This is a great way to build skills and also meet people who share similar interests with you.
  • Family -- Spending time with members of your family can be a safe and less intimidating way to socialize with people you already know. If this is not a healthy option for you, do not feel bad. There are plenty of other ideas to choose from.
  • Interaction with animals -- If you are an animal lover, this can be a good way to get yourself out there. Many local animal shelters look for people to help out. This way, you can be around animals and other people who like them as much as you.

Continue Learning about Living With Bipolar Disorder

Why should I track my sleep patterns if I have bipolar disorder?
Ruth White, MPHRuth White, MPH
Shifts in sleep patterns may precede or accompany bipolar symptoms, and may indicate the onset o...
Where can I get support if I have bipolar disorder?
John Preston, PsyDJohn Preston, PsyD
If you have bipolar disorder, seek emotional support from people who've already shown that they'...
How do I manage my bipolar disorder?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
Many people have overcome the challenge of bipolar disorder -- but not without help. See the tip...
Can my partner's bipolar disorder triggers change?
Ms. Julie A. FastMs. Julie A. Fast
Bipolar disorder triggers can change. On some days, a person won't be able to handle any conflict, w...