When should I seek out a possible diagnosis of bipolar disorder?

If you or someone you know has mania and depression symptoms, seek help immediately. Many people with these symptoms have Bipolar Disorder and don't know that they have it, thinking these mood swings are just a normal part of life. Seeking help is important. With the right diagnosis and proper treatment, those with the disorder can live a healthy and fulfilling life.

Get help if:

• You think you have manic episodes which include three or more symptoms most of the day, nearly every day, for 1 week or longer.
  • You think you may have episodes of depression, which include five or more of symptoms that last most of the day, nearly every day, for a period of 2 weeks or longer.
  • You fluctuate between these two moods.
  • These "ups" and "downs" are interfering with your home and work life.

Continue Learning about Bipolar Disorder Diagnosis

How do I find out if I have bipolar disorder?
Cycling between the poles of high-high (mania) and low-low (depression) is the very essence of the d...
How is bipolar disorder identified?
Russ Federman, PhDRuss Federman, PhD
Bipolar disorder is usually identified by a mental health professional that assesses an individual’s...
What tests will my parent's doctor use to diagnose bipolar disorder?
To make a bipolar disorder diagnosis, your parent's doctor will perform several examinations and tes...
How Is Bipolar Disorder Diagnosed?
How Is Bipolar Disorder Diagnosed?