What tests will my parent's doctor use to diagnose bipolar disorder?

Donna Hill Howes, RN
Family Medicine
To make a bipolar disorder diagnosis, your parent's doctor will perform several examinations and tests. Some of these exams and tests will rule out more serious health problems, such as thyroid disease, that can cause similar symptoms in older adults. Treating these problems may improve the symptoms. Other tests will be done to review your parent's emotional and mental state and to see whether your parent's bipolar disorder mood symptoms fit the criteria for bipolar disorder outlined in the American Psychiatric Association's Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM). Tests and exams may include: a physical examination that includes your parent's height, weight, vital signs, and other necessary evaluations; laboratory tests that include a complete blood count (CBC) to see if your parent is anemic or has an infection, a thyroid blood test, and other blood tests that may check for kidney and liver problems; a urinalysis to check for alcohol and drug use; a psychological evaluation in which a doctor or mental health provider talks to your parent directly to understand the different mood swings and thoughts, feelings, and behavior patterns; psychological self-assessments and questionnaires. You and other family members may provide information about your parent's behavior and symptoms, including descriptions of mania or depressive episodes.

Continue Learning about Bipolar Disorder Diagnosis

How do I prepare for an appointment to diagnose bipolar disorder?
You can prepare for a doctor's appointment to diagnose bipolar disorder by putting together a go...
How can my family health history help in diagnosing bipolar disorder?
Ruth White, MPHRuth White, MPH
Knowing your family's mental health history will help in diagnosis and treatment of your illness. Be...
Is it possible to diagnose bipolar disorder incorrectly?
Sheri Van DijkSheri Van Dijk
Yes, people with bipolar disorder are often first misdiagnosed, most often with depression. A study ...
How Is Bipolar Disorder Diagnosed?
How Is Bipolar Disorder Diagnosed?