question

Can black beans help me lose belly fat?

Judy Caplan
Judy Caplan on behalf of Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
answer
Black beans as part of a healthy weight loss diet can help you lose weight. Beans of all types are high in fiber and low in fat. They keep you full for long periods of time and help keep your blood sugar stable. One half cup of black beans is a serving. This serving size has approximately 100 calories and 6 grams of fiber with no fat or cholesterol. Black beans are pea sized, jet black oval beans with an earthy flavor and a soft, mealy texture. Black beans are used in such dishes as black beans and rice, refried beans, bean burritos, and black bean soup.
RealAge
RealAge
answer

All legumes, including black beans, are full of protein and fiber -- two well-known appetite crushers. And thanks to their dark color, black beans are also one of the highest in flavonoids of all the beans. And research shows that flavonoids may thwart the storage of excess tummy fat.

Continue Learning about Belly Fat

3 Tips for Reducing Your Waistline
3 Tips for Reducing Your Waistline
Carrying extra weight in your abdomen can raise your risks for diabetes, heart disease, and even some types of cancer. If you're looking to shed exces...
What types of oil should I eat if I am trying to lose belly fat?
If oil is going to be used in the fight against fat, the best choice would almost certainly be olive...
Can omentum fat be removed safely by surgery?
Can omentum fat be removed safely by surgery? Omentum fat is not normally removed by surgery. Learn ...
6 Things You Should Know About Belly Fat
6 Things You Should Know About Belly Fat6 Things You Should Know About Belly Fat6 Things You Should Know About Belly Fat6 Things You Should Know About Belly Fat
Carrying extra pounds around your midsection? Here's how a few simple tweaks can help you address belly fat. You can carry extra weight just about an...