Can black beans help me lose belly fat?

Ruth Frechman
Black beans will not help you lose belly fat, but according to the MyPlate guidelines, it's important to include 1-2 cups of beans a week. Beans are a great source of protein and fiber. They can be added to salads or used as a side dish. There are even recipes using mashed beans as an ingredient in brownies.
Judy Caplan
Black beans as part of a healthy weight loss diet can help you lose weight. Beans of all types are high in fiber and low in fat. They keep you full for long periods of time and help keep your blood sugar stable. One half cup of black beans is a serving. This serving size has approximately 100 calories and 6 grams of fiber with no fat or cholesterol. Black beans are pea sized, jet black oval beans with an earthy flavor and a soft, mealy texture. Black beans are used in such dishes as black beans and rice, refried beans, bean burritos, and black bean soup.

All legumes, including black beans, are full of protein and fiber -- two well-known appetite crushers. And thanks to their dark color, black beans are also one of the highest in flavonoids of all the beans. And research shows that flavonoids may thwart the storage of excess tummy fat.

Continue Learning about Belly Fat

What Is an Effective Core Exercise to Get Rid of Belly Fat?
Is Obesity Always a Risk Factor for Heart Disease?
Lose Belly Fat Fast
Lose Belly Fat Fast
Why Is Belly Fat Harmful to My Health?
Why Is Belly Fat Harmful to My Health?