How does chlorine dioxide help treat bad breath (halitosis)?

Chlorine dioxide is used in many over-the-counter (OTC) mouthwashes to kill bacteria and freshen breath. Mouth bacteria are a common source of bad breath. Research findings show that by reducing the number and activity of bacteria in the mouth, some oral rinses containing chlorine dioxide may improve mouth odor.

Using products containing chlorine dioxide is also very effective in the treatment of halitosis.

Chlorine dioxide breaks apart the molecules that cause bad breath. It destroys bad breath rather than acting as a cover-up, like some toothpastes and mouthwashes. By destroying the bacteria, the overall health of one's mouth is improved.

Continue Learning about Bad Breath (Halitosis)

Breath Stress . . . Be Gone!
Breath Stress . . . Be Gone!
Get an upset stomach and here's what else you can get: bad breath. How can you keep that total turnoff from happening? Yogurt. Not only is it easy on ...
Can I use over-the-counter products to get rid of bad breath?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
Over-the-counter products such as mouthwashes are generally cosmetic and do not have a long-lasting ...
What if my breath doesn't smell bad but fruity?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
Breath that smells fruity or sweet could be a symptom of a ketoacidosis, which is a diabetic iss...
Embarrassing Stomach Issues, Solved
Embarrassing Stomach Issues, Solved