Why is Clostridium difficult (C. difficile) on the rise in kids?

Robynne K. Chutkan, MD
Gastroenterology

There are 2 main reasons for the increase in C. difficile infection in kids:

• Overuse of antibiotics in the community which kills off a lot of the child's "good bacteria" and diminishes their ability to fight off infection with organisms like C. difficile.
  • Overuse of acid-blocking drugs such as proton pump inhibitors which block stomach acid. An acidic environment in the stomach is one of the body's main defense mechanisms against harmful bacteria. Infection with organisms like C. difficile can be a side effect of long-term treatment with these drugs.

Continue Learning about Bacterial Infections

Essential Facts About Ear Infections
Essential Facts About Ear Infections
While ear infections tend to affect kids—5 out of 6 children will experience this condition by the time they’re 3 years old—adults are not immune. And...
How can I protect my baby if I have group B strep disease while pregnant?
Pregnant women who test positive for group B strep bacteria (GBS) during pregnancy should receive in...
What are some common misconceptions about bacterial vaginosis (BV)?
There are some common misconceptions about bacterial vaginosis (BV). To be clear, BV: Is not a ma...
How Can I Prevent the Spread of Superbugs?