When should a woman be tested for group B strep (GBS) if she is pregnant?

A woman should ask her doctor or nurse for a group B strep (GBS) test when she is 35 to 37 weeks pregnant. The test is an easy swab of the vagina and rectum that should not hurt.

Each time a woman is pregnant, she needs to be tested for GBS. It doesn't matter if she did or did not have this type of bacteria before; each pregnancy is different. The only time you don't need the test and will automatically be recommended antibiotics during labor is if you've delivered a previous baby with early-onset GBS disease, or if the bacteria were found in your urine at any time during this pregnancy.

Continue Learning about Bacterial Infections

How to Spot the Warning Signs of a Flesh-Eating Infection
Ah, summer. The time of year for beaches, barbecues and… flesh-eating disease? Possibly. Anecdotally, there do seem to be more news reports of necro...
How are bacteria identified in bacterial infections?
One way to identify the type of bacteria causing the infection is to check their ability to absorb o...
How is septic arthritis diagnosed?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
The primary symptoms of septic arthritis are swelling and pain in the affected joint. Sometimes sept...
How Can I Prevent the Spread of Superbugs?