What is a throat abscess?

A throat abscess is sometimes a rare complication of strep throat. Symptoms may include extreme difficulty swallowing, pain tending to one side of the throat, fever, earache, headache, a muffled voice, and difficulty opening the mouth. A throat abscess should be suspected if a child shows these signs; excessively drooling may also be present. These symptoms generally need immediate medical attention for diagnosis and treatment.

Other possible causes of a throat abscess are staph infection and Haemophilus bacteria, but the symptoms and signs are the same regardless of the cause of the abscess.

Take the RealAge Test!

Continue Learning about Bacterial Infections

Is It Just a Sore Throat—or Something More Serious?
Before you wake up and open your eyes, you know something’s wrong. You feel like someone’s raked your throat with hot needles. Ouch. If you’ve also g...
How do I manage typhoid fever on a daily basis?
The most important part of managing typhoid fever is taking the antibiotics that your doctor prescri...
How can I protect my baby if I have group B strep disease while pregnant?
Pregnant women who test positive for group B strep bacteria (GBS) during pregnancy should receive in...
What Is MRSA?
What Is MRSA?