What is the mortality rate of people with bubonic plague?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

Since bubonic plague can be fatal, it is important to get medical attention quickly. The chances of a person dying from bubonic plague before the advent of antibiotics was about 66 percent, but this has been reduced to 11 percent with appropriate treatment. It is also important to note that some individuals that ignore medical treatment may develop pneumonic plague, which is far more serious and 100 percent fatal without the timely administration of antibiotics.

Continue Learning about Bacterial Infections

What do I need to know about caring for someone with typhus?
If you are caring for someone with typhus, you will need to be sure not to spread the infection. If ...
What are some tips for discussing sexual assault with my child in college?
When discussing sexual assault with your child in college, here are some topics you may want to touc...
What is a throat abscess?
A throat abscess is sometimes a rare complication of strep throat. Symptoms may include extreme diff...
Are Superbugs in Hospitals?
Are Superbugs in Hospitals?