Is there a cure for Rocky Mountain spotted fever?

Antibiotics will usually cure Rocky Mountain spotted fever (RMSF) by killing the bacteria that causes it. Your medication options usually include a tetracycline antibiotic. For pregnant women, chloramphenicol is given. RMSF should be treated at the earliest convenience to prevent permanent damage. Additionally, once you are infected with RMSF it will often make you immune to further infection of the bacteria. While this proves true in most cases, there is still a risk for further infection so continue to take the necessary precautions.

Continue Learning about Bacterial Infections

Chipotle Linked to Multiple Food Poisoning Outbreaks
The bad news seemingly just won’t stop for Chipotle. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) announced yet another outbreak of food poiso...
What is pneumococcal disease?
Scripps HealthScripps Health
Pneumococcal disease is a bacterial infection that can lead to serious and often deadly illnesses in...
Why is Clostridium difficile (C. difficile) infection on the rise?
When a person takes antibiotics, good germs that protect against infection are destroyed for several...
How Can I Prevent an Antibiotic-Resistant Infection?