Can I get an infection from a toilet seat?

Kevin W. Windom, MD
OBGYN (Obstetrics & Gynecology)
In my 12 years of gynecologic practice, I have not seen a patient get an infection from a toilet seat. Most women are very diligent with their hygiene, especially in public restrooms. It is extremely unlikely that bacteria would grow on a toilet seat then get into a person's vagina or urethra.

Continue Learning about Bacterial Infections

Everything You Need to Know About Legionnaires’ Disease
Legionnaires’ disease is a rare and serious form of bacterial pneumonia caused by Legionella bacteria. The bacteria was discovered in 1976 when people...
Do rape survivors often experience PTSD?
A study of women who were raped found that 94 out of 100 experienced symptoms of post-traumatic stre...
How do babies get Cronobacter infections?
In some outbreak investigations, Cronobacter bacteria were found in powdered infant formula that had...
How Can I Prevent the Spread of Superbugs?