If I have bacterial vaginosis, does my partner need to be treated as well?

The female partner of a woman with bacterial vaginosis (BV) may also have it and should be tested and treated.

Studies show there is no need to treat male sexual partners for BV, and clinical studies have shown that treating male partners with antibiotics doesn't affect a woman's risk of recurrence or her response to treatment.

This content originally appeared on HealthyWomen.org.

Continue Learning about Bacterial Infections

Chipotle Linked to Multiple Food Poisoning Outbreaks
The bad news seemingly just won’t stop for Chipotle. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) announced yet another outbreak of food poiso...
What are some possible complications of tracheitis?
If not treated promptly, tracheitis can have serious complications. If the trachea swells enough to ...
Is tracheitis serious?
Yes, tracheitis is a serious childhood infection. Prompt medical attention is vital when a child sho...
How Is MRSA Transmitted?
How Is MRSA Transmitted?