Can my toothbrush cause recurrent oral and throat infections?

The answer to your question is an absolute YES!! Our studies have shown that in healthy individuals, toothbrushes become contaminated within 2 weeks with sufficient numbers and types of germs to make you sick. If you are sick, the period of time for contamination is much less. Therefore, I recommend that you change your toothbrush at the beginning of an illness, when you first feel better, and when you are completely well. That way you won't continue to re-infect yourself. Also, if you are not already doing this, make sure to store your toothbrush is stored away from the bathroom. A window sill in the sunlight or in a Purebrush UV Toothbrush Sanitizer would be my recommendation.  Dr. G.

Continue Learning about Bacterial Infections

Drug-Resistant UTIs On the Rise—What This Means For You
About 60 percent of women and 12 percent of men will get at least one urinary tract infection (UTI) during their lifetimes. These common infections, w...
Is tracheitis serious?
Yes, tracheitis is a serious childhood infection. Prompt medical attention is vital when a child sho...
How do other illnesses affect tracheitis?
Certain illnesses make children more susceptible to developing tracheitis. For example, it frequentl...
How Can I Prevent the Spread of Superbugs?